Alaris pump workshop summary
Source: I attended Alaris Pump workshop sponsored by BD.
Some summary I thought relevant that other institutions implemented for smart pump compliance including the following:
– Weekly compliance round or Safety Round Friday: Leadership to inspect the nursing units to ensure usage of smart pump, and investigate any Basic infusions to ensure accountabilty.
– Monthly Alaris review: similar to what we have for Medication Safety and P&T
– Intranet link for RN to submit tickets for all basic infusions
– Handoff report: Huddle at each shift for all basic infusion
– Incidence report: Create a culture where any basic infusions would trigger an incidence report
Regarding interoperability, several key points mentioned:
– Adopt a minimum profile concept, because too many profiles can cause more complications following subsequent updates between two different systems
o Adults, Peds, NICU, Oncology/Infusion Center
– Align units between EMR and data set: Concentration limits, dosing units (gm, mg, etc.), and eliminate base concentrations
– Align infusion types between EMR and data set: Continuous, Intermittent, and Fluid
– Understanding Nursing workflows is extremely Important